Help and advice

During the process of buying a home, you will need financial and legal help from qualified professionals. 

Financial advice 

If you are considering buying a home, it's a good idea to contact a financial advisor or a mortgage advisor. 

They will conduct a wider review of your financial situation and can advise you on what you can afford to borrow, based on your income and outgoings.

You can find a financial advisor or mortgage advisor, near to you, on the Financial Services Register.

A range of tools and calculators are also available from the Money Advice Service.

Please remember, your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.  

Legal advice 

To buy a home, it's advisable that you appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf. They will handle the conveyancing for you (legally transferring the title to you), explain the terms of your lease and communicate with the seller's solicitor on your behalf. It is worth noting that you will need to pay for the costs of local searches and your legal fees.

Find a solicitor near to you that is qualified to offer conveyancing, on The Law Society's register (opens in a new window).


More information 

If you would like more information about the home buying process with Help to Buy please:
•    read our frequently asked questions about equity loan
•    read our frequently asked questions about shared ownership.

If you would like information about local financial or legal professionals able to help with Help to Buy, please contact us.